Saturday, November 22, 2008

WHY THIS BLOG?

Mehmet, a Turk whom I consider a true friend now, started emailing me in September 2008. He had read my article about Cilicia under French Mandate during 1918-1921. From the first email, I noticed that Mehmet is a learned person who has something to say. He negates the stereotyppical "Turk" that we Armenians have in our minds and try to propagate to our future gfenerations.

The issue of the Armenian Genocide and our incesent struggle for its acceptance by the government of Turkey has been our focal point for a long time. We have always condemned the Turkish government for its denialist policies. On the other hand, there is the vast medium of the Turkish society where this isuue is finally finding a place for debate and reaching a common understanding regarding it. My corresppondence with Mehmet pures into this lake that is gathering momentum for some time now. A

After exchanging emails for about 3 months, Mehmet and I decided to make our corresponcence public. I hope that both Armenian and Turkish readers of these posts will appreciate the censerity of our effort and try to multiply the dialogue.